As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Re:You can automate the crossfader!!! (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:You can automate the crossfader!!!
Killer Beez
The home of Future BASF
http://soundcloud.com/ookpikk
Re:You can automate the crossfader!!! 12 Years, 1 Month ago
Nice!
  The topic has been locked.
Cappy
jonah wrote:
I'm gonna go try it to see, but couldn't you use a physical MIDI cable loop to use the MIDI tracks to sequence the crossfader now?
Yes, that is what I describe.

the dreammer wrote:
Your forgetting that the crossfader itself does not send out midi..
the os in the octatrack can recieve midi, and tie it to the "crossfader" but thats more the os..

The strange thing is is that my midi thru splitter flashes when I move the crossfader, indicating that the crossfader is in fact sending signals. I haven't actually tried to verify what is being sent though.
Game & Watch
Great trick!
Cappy
why cant you do this w/out looping your midi ????
Chain Chomp
Umazeki wrote:
why cant you do this w/out looping your midi ????
Because its not implemented yet!!Simple as that.

Actually I haven't managed to record crossfader movements. I can assign a midi track to handle the cc48 and send it back to OT to automate the crossfader. But moving the crossfader won't be recorded in any midi track because CC 48 is sent from the channel that the first audio track has been assigned with its unique midi channel and thus can't be recorded to a midi track.
When you set a midi track's channel then automatically the audio track that is assgned with the same midi channel is not sending any midi output. You have to use something in the middle of the chain to transform the channel that is being sent from the audio track to match the one that is being recieved by the midi track.
I hope I was not too confusing!!
Anyway its not an elegant solution and feedback midi loops can be easily created and crash your midi flow.
Definately an internal routing in the future OS updates should be introduced.
Killer Beez
the dreammer wrote:

Both my OT's crossfaders send MIDI.. I have seen the MIDI output from one OT behave a bit erraticly even though the crossfader behaves fine otherwise so perhaps there is a possible issue with some crossfaderes and MIDI?

About the loopback method, you could also sequence/trigger scenes if so desired...
Chain Chomp
Laughing Animal wrote:
jonah wrote:
I'm gonna go try it to see, but couldn't you use a physical MIDI cable loop to use the MIDI tracks to sequence the crossfader now?
Yes, that is what I describe.
Haha, sorry I read too quickly.

I was thinking that it's likely that a way to do this without a MIDI cable loop will be added and it might be good to brainstorm how it we might like it to work.

I was thinking that being able to assign multi MIDI tracks (4-8?)to the cross fader would be super handy, but you'd most likely want them to operate in solo mode automatically, meaning whichever one you make active disables the others. So maybe while MIDI tracks are in cross fader mode function + track is used to edit and just pressing the track activates it?

Maybe this reversal would get confusing, but on the other hand this difference might help to keep track of the big picture.
Chain Chomp
N_Rain wrote:
the dreammer wrote:

Both my OT's crossfaders send MIDI.. I have seen the MIDI output from one OT behave a bit erraticly even though the crossfader behaves fine otherwise so perhaps there is a possible issue with some crossfaderes and MIDI?

About the loopback method, you could also sequence/trigger scenes if so desired...

OT crossfader definately sends midi. But if you set midi/control/audio cc out to the INT value the crossfader sends nothing.If you set to EXT then it does nothing to OT but sends its cc.
And remember the channel the CC is being send is that one that is uniquely assigned to an audio track.
Yoshi
Look at my stuff, and help me obtain my burger
Clips and videos
I stand corrected, just thought it reacted to CC48.. not also send it, if you configure it right..
groovy.. learn something new everyday..
Go to top Post Reply